The USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) released a revised version of Form I-9 on July 17, 2017. By September 18, 2017, employers must use the revised form with a revision date of 7/17/17N.
For further information and to download the form click on: https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/revised-form-i-9-now-available
Form I-9 Purpose
As a reminder employers must complete Form I-9 each time any new person is hired to perform labor or services in the United States. The requirement to complete Form I-9 applies to new employees hired after November 6, 1986.
- The employee must complete Section 1 at the time of hire (by the first day of their employment).
- Make sure that they sign and date the form.
- Within three business days of the date employment begins, the new employee must present an original document or documents that show their identity and employment authorization. On the I-9 form will give employers a list the required documents.
- Once the new employee provides the documents, the employer must examine the documents and complete section 2, 3, 4 and 5.
- Employers must retain the Form I-9 for each person hired.
To view the complete Handbook on Form I-9 see: https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/handbook-employers-m-274